Lovely Story of a Delivery Guy who owns "Traffic Vada Pav" Today - PANJIM CITY
Searching...

.

Lovely Story of a Delivery Guy who owns "Traffic Vada Pav" Today



"I was a pizza delivery boy who was fed up with his job. I’d spend half my day stuck in traffic. I was earning Rs 30,000, but because I’d only completed high school, I couldn’t be promoted to a store manager. I knew I’d be a delivery boy all my life if I didn’t do something about it.
While I was stuck in a jam in 2019, I realised many people, like me, must feel hungry. That’s when I thought of a business idea to sell packed vada pavs with a bottle of water for Rs 20 during peak hours. Before the traffic light turned green, I decided to name my venture, ‘Traffic Vada Pav.’
When I resigned from my job to start the business, mom didn’t take it well. 'You have a family. How can you be so irresponsible?' she asked. But I sat her down and told her I wanted us to live a better life. By the end, she showed her faith in me by lending me Rs 1 lakh to invest; it was all her savings. I purchased some equipment and packaging. While mom and I cooked, my wife packed the snacks.
We cooked 50 vada pavs on the first day and sold none. I lied to my family and told them that we sold out. I’d borrow money from friends and pretend I was earning. At night, I’d cry. I’d console myself saying, 'It was one bad day.'
I tried again and slowly, I was able to sell a few more. There were days where I would barely earn Rs 200. I moved around in the Mumbai heat and rain for hours everyday. Still, I was facing severe losses. At the time, my 52-year-old mother was earning Rs 25,000; we were living off her salary.
I was under pressure to earn; I decided to become a familiar face to commuters at junctions. As I became popular, the demand for my vada pav rose and after a year, I was able to sell 100 packages! That was the first day I didn't lie to my family about sales.
I always thought a delivery boy had no right to be a businessman. I’d think, ‘I don’t have a degree, who will take me seriously?’ But that day, I felt like I could be anyone I wanted! Through it all, my wife was my backbone; she managed the house and helped me with the business.
We worked as a team and over time, we started selling over 800 vada pavs a day! We even employed 8 delivery partners. We also serve free packages to beggars we see at these junctions. Now, if customers don't find our boys selling vada pav, they call to inquire. We’ve even rented two kiosks!
And my proudest moment was repaying my mom double the amount after 2 years. My business now makes 2 lakhs per month; I’m saving up to buy a house for us. I still remember that first day when I spent 5 hours on the streets making no sales. It would have been easy to give up, but I'm glad I didn't. Now I can do the 2 things I love everyday– eat vada pav and dream big!”

1 comments: